Saturday, July 11, 2015

EdTech 542: PBL Project Research

This week we researched various Problem-based Learning projects to gain familiarity with what we are going to be constructing for our own course project. I found that most PBL projects were very student-oriented, hands-on, and very in-depth regarding their scope. I have found in projects such as creative writing that I have had students work on in the past that if they can "make the topic their own" and connect to it on a personal level that they have a much better grasp of the content.

After researching various projects I discovered a project on researching local history in the community. I could easily adapt this to my classroom. My students could conduct research on various sites of historical significance in Tennessee. As we live in a military community they could do research on Ft. Campbell, individual unit histories, the role of the city itself. In doing this the students not only gain in-depth knowledge but hopefully also gain a greater respect and sense of connection for the community they live in. If they research a military unit that a family member is/was involved in, they could also gain a closer relationship with them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment